OSHA 10-HOUR CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY
10-Hour Construction Industry – Designated Training Topics. This training program is intended to provide entry level construction workers information about their rights, employer responsibilities, and how to file a complaint as well as how to identify, abate, avoid and prevent job related hazards on a construction site. The training covers a variety of construction safety and health hazards which a worker may encounter at a construction site. Training should emphasize hazard identification, avoidance, control, and prevention, not OSHA standards.
Instructional time must be a minimum of 10 hours. The minimum topic requirements are as follows:
Mandatory - 6 hours
Introduction to OSHA – 1 hour.
- Covers workers' rights, employer responsibilities and how to file a complaint. It includes helpful worker safety and health resources. It also provides samples of a weekly fatality and catastrophe report, safety data sheet and the OSHA Log of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses (OSHA Form 300).
(2) Materials include an Instructor Guide, student handouts, and participatory activities.
OSHA Focus Four Hazards – 4 hours. Because most construction fatalities are caused by fall hazards, falls must be covered for a minimum of one hour and 30 minutes. The remaining three Focus Four Hazard topics must be covered for a minimum of one-half hour each.
(1) Falls (minimum one hour and 30 minutes)
(3) Struck-By (e.g., falling objects, trucks, cranes)
(4) Caught-In or Between (e.g., trench hazards, equipment) Focus Four Hazards Training Requirements
Given current OSHA and industry information regarding
construction worksite illnesses, injuries, and/or fatalities, the student will be able to recognize [fall, caught-in or between, struck-by, electrocution] hazards in construction.
Specifically for each of the focus four, the student will be able to:
EO 1: Identify major hazards
EO 2: Describe types of hazards
EO 3: Protect him/herself from these hazards
EO 4: Recognize employer requirements to protect workers from these hazards.
Personal Protective and Lifesaving Equipment – 30 minutes.
Health Hazards in Construction – 30 minutes. May teach noise, hazard communication, and crystalline silica or any other construction health hazard.
Elective - 2 hours. Must present at least two hours of training on the following topics. At least two topics must be presented. The minimum length of any topic is one-half hour.
a) Cranes, Derricks, Hoists, Elevators, and Conveyors
c) Materials Handling, Storage, Use and Disposal
e) Stairways and Ladders
f) Tools - Hand and Power
3. Optional - 2 hours. Teach other construction industry hazards or policies and/or expand on the mandatory or elective topics. The minimum length of any topic is one-half hour.
You can also choose a topic from the 1910 General industry such as LOTO lockout tagout, Respiratory protection…